Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Minecraft

Image credit: Michael Thoms flickr user: supermacho - by way of Wired!

So it looks like LEGO Minecraft is coming!

Yes, the game that has sucked hundreds thousands millions of hours of productivity away from men and women around the globe and fostered virtual engineering skills/undead battling finesse is making the transition from the screen to plastic.

I had been following the process on LEGO's CUUSO page, where people had been building support for Minecraft LEGO.

What is LEGO CUUSO?  It's a site where people can suggest new ideas for LEGO themes, and once enough fans within the LEGO community support an idea (10,000 [LEGO]Maniacs), it is then reviewed by official LEGO judges.

Most of the suggestions on the site will probably never see the light of day, as most are tied to video game/movie themes, and obvious licensing issues/restrictions that would have to be worked out.  However, the LEGO Minecraft theme had the official support of the folks behind Minecraft, and it has now become the first successful CUUSO project.

Congratulations!

I have never played Minecraft myself, though I have seen a lot of what it has to offer.  I prefer my bricks of the physical nature as opposed to the virtual - though I'm sure that if I got started in Minecraft I'd quickly get sucked in (that is, if Dwarf Fortress is any type of precedent).

Is this a good time to jump on board Minecraft?

No comments:

Post a Comment